.............................................................................................................................................................................

JOTTING DOWN NOTES: FRANK EDWARDS

I was lucky enough to meet and interview Georgia blues musician Frank Edwards not long before he died. I was researching the life of Blind Willie McTell, and they had been friends - or certainly acquaintances - in the 1930s. Aptly enough, I suppose, by the time I caught up with him in 2001, he was a regular in the Atlanta city bar called Blind Willie's. I wrote up our brief encounter in Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes: In Search of Blind Willie McTell  but today (20 March 2014) being the 105th anniversary of Frank Edwards' birth, I reproduce the notebook pages written at the time - a small tribute to a likeable artist and man:

And here's that recording of Three Women Blues:



Carey Bell was actually 64 at the time of his appearance that night. Frank Edwards died in March 2002, Carey Bell in May 2007.


1 comment:

  1. Just reading 'the last of the savages ' by Jay McInerny ' and thought of you. Your notes look mighty impressive

    ReplyDelete