.............................................................................................................................................................................

DISTINCTIVE BOOKSHOPS

I love to travel  - I've often written travel features for the broadsheet press, and my book Hand Me My Travelin' Shoes: In Search of Blind Willie McTell is almost as much a travel book as a biography. I am drawn to independent bookshops in towns I travel through. Their sometimes beguiling distinctiveness seems beautifully represented on this video, which I discovered via Galleycat today:



The owners of the shop (Type in Toronto) spent many sleepless nights moving, stacking, and animating books.. Everything you see here can be purchased at Type Books. Grayson Matthews generously composed the beautiful, custom music. But none of it could have been done without all the volunteer hands who shelved and reshelved books all night, every night."

I have no connection with Type or with Grayson Matthews. I just like their work here  -  and love the way that while someone at an ad agency could have had the whole book dance faked on a computer, the people at Type did it by hand.

1 comment: